Tweet for profit – that’s what it’s all about right? Why else would a busy solo-entrepreneur like yourself even bother to send tweets. You and I are doing it because we believe followers will turn into customers or clients. That those short bursts of information will create enough excitement or interest that people will come into your store or click to the website.
Twitter on the other hand is counting on followers being so entranced with their streams that they see it as a form of entertainment. What is Oprah eating for breakfast, what is Lady Gaga up to? It is micro reality shows. So how does this help in our world of business and making money? It gives us an amazing insight into our target clients. We can see what they are following, tweeting and retweeting. What kinds of pictures are they posting? Are they on twitter at all?
Probably, they are. Knowing what they like can help you create a campaign. Tweeting (actually all advertising) isn’t about you. Only your mother cares that you ate pancakes for breakfast or that it’s sunny. Most of your followers don’t. You can capture their attention by creating tweets that reflect their interests. Here are a few ideas.
- Keep abreast of the topics they are following – look for new content to share or re-tweet they will keep an eye on the stream looking for what they are interested in. Your logo will be attached to the tweet (your profile picture is your branded logo – right).
- If you are local keep the information flowing about local goings on. Ask your followers to keep you posted and be ready to retweet.
- Offer specials that are only on twitter. Set a time limit. Show the tweet and today only… $ savings.
- Pictures are getting more interest than ever before. Is there a way to tie in your business with a reason your followers will want to take their picture there and share it? Did they finish the gut buster hamburger? Is there a cool statue or a Twitter Wall of Fame? Everytime someone tweets about you the word goes out and others want to come to your place of business.
- Videos can be added to Twitter. Share ones that you think your followers will enjoy and ones that help them think of you.
- Are you a by appointment only business? Use twitter to tell customers when you have an opening.
Have fun with it. Be creative and keep it short!
Video’s can be fun – choose ones of interest to your audience. What do you think about this choice?